123 countries are impacted by #fakemeds
Photo Credits: Sanofi
A new Sanofi survey reveals that as Europeans, US citizens know little about fake medicines:
- Only 12% of USA citizens know about fake medicines, and the majority feel they not to have enough information about this issue;
- More than half of Americans (53%) say they had never heard of fake medicines;
- Only 15% make the connection between counterfeiting and medicines, while the rest linked the issue more with other goods;
- Only 18% declare to have already purchased medicines online, while three-quarters are not aware of the fact that there is a risk involved (74%);
- Eight out of 10 Americans feel that the greatest risk to being exposed to fake medicines comes from buying them online (79%);
- However, they also believe it possible that fake medicines are found in traditional pharmacies in the United States (59%).
“Counterfeit medicines are a crime against public health and a growing global crisis […] The findings of this study demonstrate that the burden is still too poorly perceived by populations as a whole, and underline the need for the public at large to be better informed about the risks involved“, declared a representative from Sanofi.